Anomalia
Why is this my dullest post yet? Is it a foretaste of how dull I'd be if I became an academic? Now I'm editing.
I just got back from a conference in Montreal called "Anomalia."
I gave a paper drawn from Charles Mudede’s and my work on landscape and crime. It was about Tarde and imitation.
There were some very good papers: Henk Oosterling on what he called "radical medi(a)(o)crity," Martin Lefebvre on cannibalism, and Peter Paik, of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Paik gave a paper titled "Saturnalia of the Automatons or, the killer stripped bare by his guru, even." About Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Cure," post-9/11 films, and "omnicide," or cult homocide. This film the Cure, I'd love to see it. He showed a clip where the affectless cult leader, in police custody, sort of hypnotizes a policeman by repeatedly asking "who are you?" The film, Paik claims, is an advance over the abject-hero film, where a killer is dashing and bad and sexy, like Hannibal. In the Cure, the killer is, Brechtianly, "just annoying."
--So but then the people he hypnotizes are not aware of being in a cult, they just carry out brutal murders and then are found near the scene, amnesiac, dazed. Paik: "The marvelous irony of the film consists of its insight that when people act on their most repressed desires and fulfill their most disavowed fantasies, they do so mechanically, even mindlessly, with all the gusto of robots or zombies. "
And Montreal! Ah, Canada. How I long to live in Canada. Like here, but so much better. I've lived in so many places that were shadowed by Canada: Buffalo had Fort Erie and Toronto; in Seattle, it's Vancouver. Some day, Canada.
No comments:
Post a Comment