Life emerges from non-life, but at the cost of an
unexperiencable death (a trauma, writes Caruth). Life cannot assume that death,
not even by dying (writes Brassier). At the same time, the unassimilable death
is not forever receding future—it’s here, it’s inside (a dead and scarred-over ‘vesicle,’
writes Freud; the remnant of monocellular life that sacrificed itself in the
furnace of unassimilable experience, overwhelming stimuli.) The anterior is
lost: there is no emergence and no beginning, only a continuing. This is the
logic that animates (or re-animates) the fictions of Beckett and Blanchot. Molloy
doesn’t know how came to the room; nor does Malone; and as for the unnamable,
not only does he begin (or continue) by asking where now, who now, when now,
but the anterior is lost to him, too: “Can it be that one day, off it goes on,
that one day I simply stayed in, instead of going out, in the old way, out to
spend the day and night as far away as possible, it wasn’t very far. Perhaps
that is how it began.” In Blanchot’s Death
Sentence, the lost anterior is the text of the story that is present in the
world of the story—but present as absent, as destroyed or lost, commanded to be
burnt or locked away: “I must not forget that I once managed to put these
things into writing. … Inactive, in a state of lethargy, I wrote this story.
But once it was written I reread it and destroyed the manuscript.”
No comments:
Post a Comment